Constituents young and old within City Council District 28 will have the opportunity to take part in participatory budgeting for the first time, according to Councilwoman Adrienne Adams (D-Jamaica), the first woman to represent the area.
“No one knows the needs of our community better than the people who live there,” said Adams.
Vote Week kicks off from 2:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. in Richmond Hill at Lefferts Library located at 103-34 Lefferts Blvd. on March 30, according to Adams’ office.
Residents of Richmond Hill, Jamaica, Rochdale Village and South Ozone Park will have until April 7th to decide how approximately $1 million will be allocated to fund 19 different line items.
Constituents must be at least 11-years-old to decide on how community projects throughout the district will be spent and they can vote online, at LinkNYC kiosks or at poll sites.
Residents get to vote on up to five line items, which were vetted and narrowed down from hundreds of ideas from fellow constituents by community agencies over the last year, according to Adams.
“I think that it is a great idea,” said P.S. 48 Ast. Principal Vanessa Christiansen.
Individuals who are interested in volunteering for Vote Week can contact Adams’ office at 718-206-2068.
“I am blessed to represent such a diverse community and will fulfill my campaign promise to empower the people of District 28 by giving them a voice. I truly value public input and we will build upon our year of progress together in our first Participatory Budgeting cycle,” said Adams.
The final list of projects on the ballot include:
PARKS AND RECREATION:
- Adult Fitness Equipment at Phil Rizzuto Park
- Water Fountains with Bottle Refills at JHS 226Q & PS 55Q
- Renovation of the Student Lounge at Richmond Hill High School
- Basketball Hoops and Time Clock at PS 160Q
- Audio-Visual Upgrades at PS 45Q and PS 161Q
- Tech Upgrades for PS 48Q, PS 55Q, PS 161Q, MS 72Q & MS 332Q
- Bathroom Renovations at PS 40Q, PS 45Q, PS 55Q, PS 80Q
- Technology Upgrades for Baisley Park and Rochdale Village Libraries
- Technology Upgrade for Lefferts and South Ozone Park Libraries
- 5 Real-Time Rider Information Panels at Bus Stops in District 28
- New Walkway at South Jamaica Houses II
- NYCHA Playground Reconstruction outside Building 23
- NYCHA Playground Reconstruction outside Building 20
- NYCHA Playground Reconstruction outside Building 12
- NYCHA Playground Reconstruction at 107 Av & 159 St
- NYCHA Playground Reconstruction at 108Av & 160St
- Lamp Post installation at South Jamaica Houses
- Enhanced Exterior Lighting at South Jamaica Houses
- Argus Security Cameras for four District 28 Police Precincts